General Discussion
Group Home Group Home
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Author Latest Post
Report death of Colonel Richard H. Johnson, USA (Ret.), IL Ch007, Illinois 0 H. Shown Good day to all. I am saddened to pass along the information of the death of Colonel Richard H. Johnson, USA (Ret.), WWII Army Veteran, Army Reservist, and long time member of the ROA. ROA member # 0039679, since 01 Feb 1946. Currently listed in Decatur, Illinois Chapter 007. Thanks to CW3 Robert (Bob) Barnes for passing along the information. Please find the attached obituary. http://www.calvertmemorial.com/clintonarea/component/memorials/item/697/24-clinton-chapel.html Our thoughts and prayers go out to Colonel Johnson's family, friends, and fellow veterans. Blessings to all. Hugh Shown President, ROA Chapter 039, Springfield, IL 1900hr, Monday, 05 September 2016
by H. Shown
Monday, September 5, 2016
ROA Chapter 39 Newsletter - 15 Aug 2016 0 H. Shown ROA Chapter 39 Newsletter (Interim Substitute) 15 August 2016   Good day to all.   First – Chapter 39, Springfield, Illinois would like to welcome the ROA members from Chapter 7, Decatur, Illinois.  We do welcome you and invite you all to join with us as we continue to do our duty to serve our county.  I think most of us like consistency and like to avoid change, but I think we also know that change is inevitable.   To that end, we invite Chapter 7 members to become an integral part of Chapter 39.  We need everyone’s inputs as how best to support the Department of Illinois as well as National ROA.  ROA serves an important mission to the security of the United States by providing inputs and feedback to State and National leaders on how best to develop, support, and utilize our country’s Uniformed Services.  We can provide a voice of experience that is so desperately needed.   I think we are all saddened by the shrinking of many, wonderful organizations, one of which is the ROA.  However, I hope that you are encouraged by the fact that those of us that still support ROA, as we can, are willing to make the sacrifice of time and energy to keep the organization functioning, alive, and growing again.  We need to be reaching out and spreading the word about ROA to other Active Duty, Reserve Forces (National Guard and Reserves), as well as Former and Retired Service Members (Commissioned, Warrant, and Non-Commissioned Officers).  We also need to be thinking about new, innovative ways to be doing this.   So, we certainly welcome Chapter 7, as well as all Chapter 39 members to join us in this effort.   For those new members and for those of us that have forgotten, ROA, Chapter 39, has typically met monthly, the first Thursday of the month, from September through May.  We then take a summer break and kick off our Fall, September, meeting with a “steak cook out”.  More recently we have had a September “steak cook in”, where we let someone else do the cooking.   To start this September meeting – on Thursday, 01 September, we have made arrangements for someone else to cook and to cleanup.  We have reserved a room at a Springfield O’Charley’s restaurant (4241 Conestoga Drive), near the south-west corner of Springfield.  We are to meet there at 1800hr, (6:00 PM) – or a little before.  We get to order from the menu at our own expense, but the company will be great.   We apologize to our new Decatur members, and do hope you can make it.  As we get your inputs, we might be able to make other arrangements that might be more convenient to you all in the future.  You are encouraged to bring your spouse or other friends, especially if they are eligible and considering joining ROA.   From east of Springfield, get on Route 55 south and Route 72 west around Springfield.  When Route 55 and Route 72 split at the south side of Springfield, stay on Route 72 west about 2 miles to Exit 93 (Route 4) and then head south on Route 4 and you will see Meijer’s Store area and O’Charley’s on one of the outlots of the shopping center.  The area is full of various hotels, stores and car dealerships, so come early and shop around a little before our 6:00 PM start time.   We need to know that you got this message, and if you will or will not be attending and how many guest you will be bringing.  We need a good headcount as soon as possible to make arrangements.  It will be here before you know it.  Please, as soon as possible, email or call me at hshown@auburnctnet.com, or hshown@yahoo.com, or call at 217-438-6579 or cell at 217-652-8444 and feel free to leave a message if I can not answer. We need to hear from you no later than Tuesday, 30 August 2016, if at all possible. Attending or Regrets, one way or the other, please respond. Thanks.   Our Armed Forces continue to do an outstanding job, often under the most difficult circumstances. Please remember and pray for all our men and women who are so bravely serving their country. They are located around the world, often far from their families and loved ones. They have reported for duty so that we and other people around the world can have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Never, no never forget their sacrifices and the sacrifices of their families.   The ROA has provided a great service to this great nation in the past. It is up to us to continue this effort because the need is great. Our military is to provide protection for the citizens of the United States and to defend freedom. With freedom comes great responsibility. I invite each of you to continue to do this through your participation in the ROA.   As most of you know, ROA has adopted the change to its membership qualification to expand it to Non-Commissioned Officers (NCO's) as well as Warrant and Commissioned Officers. There are many dedicated NCO's that will greatly enhance our membership ranks. If you know some of them, please invite them to come to our Chapter 39 meetings. With all of us working together, ROA will grow and continue to perform its mission.   Again, please make plans today to join us on Thursday, 1800hr, 01 September 2016. Remember, call a friend and invite them to come along with you. The more the merrier.   I am looking forward to seeing you all on Thursday, 01 September 2016, if not before - perhaps at the Illinois State Fair.  I get to work there with the American Legion on Friday, 19 August 2016.  Hopefully without the 5 inches rain of last Friday, 12 August 2016.   Looking forward to hearing from you.   May the Lord bless each of you and your family.   Hugh Shown; Monday, 15 Aug 2016 120 South 4th Street, Auburn, IL  62615-1452 President, Chapter 39, Illinois, ROA   http://www.roa.org/    
by H. Shown
Tuesday, August 16, 2016