- Law Center
The Reserve Officers Association is the professional association for all uniformed Reserve services of the United States. Chartered by Congress and in existence since 1922, ROA advises and educates the Pennsylvania & United States Congress, the Governor & President, and the American people on issues of national security, with unique expertise on Reserve issues. ROA advocates for adequate funding of equipment and training requirements, recruiting and retention incentives, and employment rights for all members of our Reserve forces.
Reserve, National Guard, active, retired & former commissioned & non-commissioned officers, warrant officers of the Uniformed Services, ROTC & Military Academy cadets, as well as spouses, widows, or widowers of current or former ROA members are cordially invited to join the ROA and the Department of Pennsylvania.
DEPARTMENT OF PENNSYLVANIA CHAPTERS
Chap 11 – “CENTRAL” – Harrisburg, Carlisle, Mechanicsburg, Gettysburg Area
14 – “CONNEMAUGH VALLEY” – Johnstown, Altoona, Ligonier, Greensburg Area
18 – “ERIE” – Erie, Franklin, Edinboro Area
23 – “GOLDEN TRIANGLE” – Pittsburgh, Oakdale, Beaver Falls, New Castle Area
33 – “LEHIGH VALLEY” – Bethlehem, Allentown, Stroudsburg, Easton Area
34 – “LUZERNE COUNTY” – Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Hazelton Area
50 – “SEA SERVICES-PITTSBURGH” – Pittsburgh, Greensburg, Monroeville Area
53 – “TRI-COUNTY” – Dubois, Clarion, Clearfield, Centre County Area
62 – “MILITARY GOVERNMENT” – Philly, Doylestown, Bensalem, Bala Cynwyd Area
63 – “PHILADELPHIA SCHOOL” – Philly, Norristown, Doylestown Area
99 – “TRI-SERVICES” – Pittsburgh, Oakdale, Greensburg, Butler, Grove City Area
TOTAL – DEPT OF PA ~ over 2,000 MEMBERS REPRESENTING ALL MILITARY SERVICES
DEPARTMENT CONVENTION INFO-REGISTRATION
LATEST DEPARTMENT MEETING MINUTES
ROA Department Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Army Heritage & Education Center (AHEC), Carlisle PA
21 February 2015
(draft submitted by COL Denise Gross, 21 March, 2015)
1. Call to Order @ 1000 by LTC Karen Aravich - Sr VP / President Elect, along with Pledge of Allegiance.
- Attendee Roster-Roll Call - Quorum – approved
- LTC Karen Aravich, Chap 53 (Sr VP/Pres Elect)
- COL Denise Gross, Chap 11 (Secretary-for-Life)
- LTC Dan Daley, Chap 11 (National Council Rep)
- LTC Alan Smith, Chap 99 (Treasurer-Extraordinaire)
- Lt Col Don Aravich, Chap 53 (First-Husband Elect)
- MAJ Bob Zimmerman, Chap 11 (ROTC/JROTC Chairman)
- SGM Tom Zerbe, Chap 11 (Premium Cigar Chairman)
2. Secretary’s Report (COL Gross)
- Approved minutes from 9-20-14 – COL Gross will send copy of minutes and copy of current C&B to LTC Daley for Dept website & facebook page
3. Treasurer's Report / Budget Review-Approval (LTC Smith)
Report distributed, after discussion, motions made and approved the report as amended.
Minuteman largest expense. Although ROTC and JR Off program is significant expense consensus was that the program remains relevant and important to keeping ROA name out there.
Money not coming in from National. LTC Smith sent informal email notifying chapter treasurers, formal letter from President noted as needed. Also should be included in minuteman.
Taxes filed on 2/5/15 – accepted by IRS
· Change IRS filing period from calendar to fiscal account
· Transfer funds in Clearview Federal Credit Union (FCU) CD to money market account
· Email IRS filing for 2014 to National. Do not know POC since Laura Sieders left. LTC Daley suggested Kim Echols.
4. National Council Representative’s / Report (LTC Daley) National EXCOM
· New Executive Director, MG Jeffrey Phillips
· USAA wanted naming rights for building which was rejected – ROA still soliciting for organization/company to do this and partnering with a law firm hoping to reduce debt.
· National still looking at option of outsourcing staffing.
· Discussion about need for more communication from National on Legislative issues and need for more information regarding membership status.
· National is asking Departments to consider forgiving all or a portion of outstanding national debts.
· National did not publish a fall edition of Officer Magazine.
Next National Council meeting is March 16-18, 2015 in DC
Meetings will be attended by LTC Daley, COL Holsworth and LTC Pentecost, STARs Gala attendees evening of March 17th will include LTC Pentecost, COL Gross and possibly COL Holsworth.
July 26-29, 2015 – National Convention, Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, Washington DC (DOPA considering camp ground accommodations may be taking camper/RV)
5. Department / Chapter Membership Report (COL Gross / LTC Daley)
Problem with renewals and membership reports from National
6. Officer’s Reports
- Senior VP/President Elect (LTC Aravich) NSTR
- VP Army (COL) Bhagwandien) NSTR
- VP AF (LTC McKay) – NSTR
- VP Naval Services (CDR Krawec) NSTR
7. Committee Chairpersons Reports (Surgeon; Dental Surgeon; Historian; Judge Adjutant; ROTC )
ROTC Report: MAJ Zimmerman ordered and distributed medals that were centrally ordered. Need new certificate with new Executive Director
8. Legislative / Resolutions Issues
Constitution & Bylaws – New National C&B needs to be reviewed LTC Don Aravich appointed as subcommittee chair, COL Holsworth and MAJ Zimmerman will serve on committee. Resolutions: None Legislative Issues: None
9. Chapter Reports / Updates: None
10. ROAL Report : NSTR
11. Minuteman Newsletter: Next edition will be prepared by COL Gross within two weeks of receipt of details NLT April 1 emailed/posted on website NLT April 15, 2015 with RSVP NLT May 1, 2015 COL Gross will include notice to all members listing names hardcopy requests and reinforcing need for valid email address
12. Upcoming ROA Department Convention (LTC Aravich ): Discussion regarding planning for our Dept State Convention, 19-21 June 2015 Dubois, RSVP May 20, 2015
13. Additional Old/New Business Issues: None
14. Motion to Adjourn
LUNCH – @ AHEC Cafe; no host
DINNER – no host; plans cancelled due to inclement weather conditions (lots of snow, Again)
Site last updated:
Find & "Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ROADOPA or search "ROA Dept of PA" on Facebook.
DISCLAIMER: This web site is provided as a public service by the Reserve Officers Association, PA Department. None of the information in this site is intended to reflect the official opinions of the ROA, its Board of Directors, or National Officers. This web site may be used by the public for viewing and retrieving information only. Unauthorized attempts to upload or alter the contents of this site are prohibited and may be punishable under
Public Law 99-474 (The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986).
Copyright © 2013, all rights reserved