|If you are unable to view the message below, please go to http://www.roa.org/site/MessageViewer.|
May 13, 2009
ROA Kicks off 2009 Legislative Advocacy Campaigns
Action: Contact your U.S. Senators and House Members today to take action on ROA's legislative priorities. Your Legislative Team currently has 2 active action alerts, but more are coming. Click on these campaigns to take action now.
National Guardsmen and Reservists Parity for Patriots Act
C-17 Globemaster III Funding
LEGISLATION AND MILITARY POLICY UPDATE:
ROA Life Member Testifies at Senate Rules Committee on Military Voting Overseas
Robert Carey, Executive Director of the National Defense Committee and ROA Life Member, testified May 13 at a hearings to examine problems for military and overseas voters, focusing on why many soldiers and their families cannot vote.
Schumer Releases Survey Suggesting Ballots of One in Four Troops Deployed Overseas Went Uncounted in '08 Election
Read the hearing
ROA Quoted on Heavy Use of Reserve Components in "2 Careers, 2 Jobs: Reservists Juggle Heavier Load Since 9/11" (Army Times, May 18 edition)
- "The Reserve Component -- the National Guard and Federal Reserve -- has saved the country from a draft," said retired Marine Corps Lt. Gen. Dennis McCarthy, executive director of ROA.
See the article
Military Times Web site
NEWS FOR CITIZEN WARRIORS:
- Fraud, Waste in Reservist Housing Cost Army $277 Million, Review Finds (The Virginian-Pilot)
- Pentagon Budget Devotes More to Afghanistan War Than to Iraq (Washington Post)
- Obama Plans To Drop a Fighter Jet Engine from Military Budget (New York Times)
- Obama Budget Cuts Target Military Funding (Washington Times)
- Memo Says No TRICARE Increases in 2010 Budget (Military Times)
- 'Continuum of Service' Video Promotes Total Force Options (AFPN)
- ‘Game-changing’ Roth Option for TSP Clears House (Air Force Times)
- Returning Vets May Face Another Battle (Midlothian Exchange)
- Soldiers' Newest GI Bill Exceeds Tuition Assistance, Also Benefits Dependents (Army Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation Command Public Affairs)
NATIONAL CONVENTION UPDATE:
Join Us in Orlando, Fla., for ROA's Summer Convention as We Honor the HEROES AMONG US—Our Nation’s Citizen Warriors
Visit ROA's Orlando Web page
Highlighted on ROA's Web Site: Awards and Citation Handbook Updated
Check out the updated Awards and Citation Handbook to see how your department or chapter can qualify.
Awards and Citations Handbook (PDF)
Great Americans Video of the Week
Tune in to watch this week's Great American video: "These Things We Do So That Others May Live" by the Great Americans Combat Videographer of the Year 2009 MSgt. James Monk, USAF.
Watch this week's video
Upload your videos on the Great Americans Web site
Do you know about all your Member Benefits?
Check out all the things that you have access to or can receive as a member of the Reserve Officers Association.
Visit the Member Benefits Web page
ROA Travel Partner Offers Hot Deals in May
Click here to take advantage of this member benefit!
Link to vacations page
Back to top of page
Click here to Unsubscribe