- Law Center
DEPARTMENT OF PENNSYLVANIA CHAPTERS
Chap 11 – “CENTRAL” – Harrisburg, Carlisle, Mechanicsburg, Gettysburg Area
14 – “CONNEMAUGH VALLEY” – Johnstown, Altoona, Ligonier, Greensburg Area
18 – “ERIE” – Erie, Franklin, Edinboro Area
23 – “GOLDEN TRIANGLE” – Pittsburgh, Oakdale, Beaver Falls, New Castle Area
33 – “LEHIGH VALLEY” – Bethlehem, Allentown, Stroudsburg, Easton Area
34 – “LUZERNE COUNTY” – Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Hazelton Area
50 – “SEA SERVICES-PITTSBURGH” – Pittsburgh, Greensburg, Monroeville Area
53 – “TRI-COUNTY” – Dubois, Clarion, Clearfield, Centre County Area
62 – “MILITARY GOVERNMENT” – Philly, Doylestown, Bensalem, Bala Cynwyd Area
63 – “PHILADELPHIA SCHOOL” – Philly, Norristown, Doylestown Area
99 – “TRI-SERVICES” – Pittsburgh, Oakdale, Greensburg, Butler, Grove City Area
TOTAL – DEPT OF PA ~ over 2,000 MEMBERS REPRESENTING ALL MILITARY SERVICES
DEPTARTMENT EXCOM DETAILS - 22 Feb 2014
ROA Department of PA Executive Committee Meeting - 22 Feb 2014
U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (AHEC)
The Department of Pennsylvania EXCOM meeting will be held on Saturday, 22 Feb 2014 at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (AHEC) near Carlisle Barracks
The meeting will start at 09:30. We expect to be complete shortly after lunch. Lunch will be available in the AHEC Cafe. We will also do a self-guided tour of the AHEC following our meeting & plan on an informal gathering for dinner @ the Market Cross Pub, for those who wish to visit & stay overnight on Saturday. Overnight lodging is available at Carlisle Barracks Army Lodging; for reservations call 717-245-4245. Please RSVP to LTC Daley NLT 15 Feb 2014 via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or (717)503-0307 or mail the below RSVP form to: LTC Dan Daley 135 Hollow Rd York Springs, PA 17372
The tentative topics for this meeting include:
1. C&B Amendments/Resolutions
2. Legislative Issues
3. Chapter Updates
4. Planning for ROA Leaders Conference in March & National Convention in July
5. Planning for our Dept State Convention
All members of ROA and ROAL who are interested in the issues of importance to the Department of Pennsylvania are invited to participate in this meeting. It is particularly important that members of the Council (i.e., the Executive Committee plus all Past Presidents of the Department and the Presidents of each of the Chapters in Pennsylvania) attend. Chapter Presidents who cannot come themselves should plan to send a representative. Contact Department President LTC Bill Pentecost by phone: (412) 221-9539 or email: email@example.com to suggest additions to the agenda.
AHEC Addr: 950 Soldiers Dr. Carlisle, PA
RSVP FORM ROA Department of PA - EXCOM – Feb 22, 2014
EMAIL ADDR: _______________________________
CELL #: _____________________________________
If attending, SPOUSE/GUEST NAME: ____________________
LATEST DEPARTMENT MEETING MINUTES
ROA DoPA MEETING Minutes
14 September 2013
(Dept Convention in Erie, PA)
1. Call to Order (LTC Karen Aravich, Senior VP/President-elect opened the meeting on behalf of President Bill Pentecost)
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Attendees: LTC Pentecost, Capt Ludwig, LTC Smith, LCDR Erdodi, COL Holsworth, COL Paul Platek, MG Bauer, LTC Don Aravich, LTC Karen Aravich, LTC Bhagwandien, LTC Hull, LTC Daley, COL Gross, LTC McKay, SGM Zerbe, LTC Goldman.
Call for Quorum
- President LTC Bill Pentecost assumed leadership of meeting, made opening remarks and welcomed attendees.
· ROA Members, LTC Pentecost and COL Holsworth have been appointed by Governor Corbett to the PA Military Community Protection Commission, under DCED.
· Discussion on partnering and collaborating with other military organizations: MOAA, MOWW and Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall – Veterans, Military History, and Community Appointees.
· Associates of the 99th Infantry Division is sponsoring a Memorial Crest Statue
outside of Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall.
2. Secretaries Report (COL Gross)
- Comments/Approval of EXCOM Minutes. Add link to Minutes to next edition of Minuteman
3. Treasurer's Report / Budget Review-Approval (LTC Smith): Minuteman and Donation to Wounded Warriors Fund were biggest expenses. See attached report.
Our finance liaison, Laura Seiders is no longer at National. Marshall provided number for POC and indicated that a replacement is pending selection. LTC Smith will continue to follow-up on any unrecognized Chapter Accounts. IRS Filing requirements should not change – still need to file postcard. Chapter 34 did properly file renewal - entire Department is in compliance with filing requirements. COL Platek brought up discussion on investment account and restrictions under by-laws. LTC K. Aravich asked for clarification on what is an investment account. LTC Smith clarified that the money market is 2 items: one is operating cash and the other is inactive chapter money – not considered an investment. To clarify on report, this money will be shown in subaccounts.
Motion was made by LCDR Erdodi to move PNC investment money to be reinvested and consolidated with tri-state money market. Motion seconded by LTC McKay and passed. Renewal date is 9/25/13 therefore this must be done soon.
LTC Don Aravich made a motion for adhoc committee to look at getting our C&B in line with Nationals – which may impact interest income associated with investment account. Committee members: COL Holsworth and LTC Pentecost. LTC K Aravich seconded, motion passed.
4. National Council Representative’s / Report (LTC Daley) - 6-8 August 13 – National Convention Leaders Meeting will be in DC each year and National Convention will be in different regions. Long Beach, CA July 23-26, 2014. National is questioning what Departments are doing with funds at Department Level. Kiosks - $13 each – we purchased 10 for Reserve Centers they will be distributed today to members for delivery. 2015 CIOMR will be in DC at Wardman Park. Leaders Week Mar 3-6, 2014. Minuteman building is being reoccupied - 6 are in place now and 22 others will be in the building in October. Third floor will continue to be leased by Norfork Southern. Gala with Stars again – March 4, 2014. CIOR and CIOMR will be in DC in 2015
BG Silva, new National President. Silva plans to focus on control and management of National Committees.
5. Officer’s Reports
- Senior VP/President Elect (LTC Aravich) – nothing to report
- VP Army (LTC(P) Bhagwandien)- nothing to report
- VP AF (LTC McKay)- 911th Update on Planes, Post Exchange Ground Breaking – should be completed by June.
- VP Naval Services (CDR Krawec) – not present/no report
6. Committee Chairpersons Reports (Surgeon; Dental Surgeon; Historian; Judge
Advocate; Chaplain; Retirement Affairs; Bldg Fund-Endowment; Constitution & Bylaws;
Resolutions; - no reports)
ROTC/Jr Off: One of the Junior Officer’s did not have a room at National Meeting and did not get reimbursed from National for some incidentals that other cadets received. Marshall Hanson and Donny Aravich will look into this as follow-up. Still have the option of sending ROTC cadets but we need to focus on those who are planning to go into the Reserve – not expected to go on Active Duty. Discussion on feedback from Jr. Off slated for Active duty who attended. Need to keep an open mind and examine candidates and Jr Officer’s available to attend on a case by case basis.
7. Chapter Reports / Updates
Chapter 99 – Sponsorship of 99th RSC Memorial Crest Statue & ROTC Awards
Chapter 18 – Host Chapter for event & ROTC Awards
Chapter 50 – Meetings & Midshipmen Award/Support Activities
Chapter 11 – ROTC Award Program
Chapter 23 – Support to 911th & ROTC Awards
8. Legislative / Resolutions Issues Navy /Reserve ships, Tricare is qualifying system under Health Care act. Priority 8 under VA will also be considered under the Healthcare Act , if over $36,000 will be also be covered, if enrolled in VA you will be covered. LTC K Aravich brought up concerns of communication regarding status and enrollment. The VA at the National level appears to have a different message from what we are hearing locally. If have Tricare for Life and Medicare and do not have service connected medical need, veteran will pay for services at 80% - VA will be enforcing this
9. ROAL Report (Betty Lehman) see attached report emailed from Betty Lehman to COL Gross
10. Minuteman Newsletter - Follow-up on advertising to help offset costs of future editions. LTC Goldman will assist COL Gross in exploring this option. Advertise Join ROA for enlisted members and solicit membership in other organization’s publications. COL Holsworth made a motion to budget up to $1000 to do these ads. Motion seconded by K. Aravich and passed. LTC Daley will coordinate this with National.
11. Upcoming ROA Department & National Events Planning (LTC Daley/LTC Pentecost)
- July 23-26, 2014, 2014 ROA National Convention, Long Beach, CA
- August 2015, CIOR/CIOMR International Congress, Washington DC
- OJO/OWO Nominations – announcement from National should be available in October
- 2014 Report to Congress – Report has lost its original purpose now that the February visits to the Hill are no longer happening. Need new approach on how the Department will structure visits as a separate event. In the meantime, no Report to Congress will be published. See item 13.
- Winter, 2014 EXCOM – Hosted by Chapter 11 at Carlisle AHEC on 22 February 2014.
- Summer, Department Convention - 21 June 2014 – Location/Host TBD Betty Lehman, ROAL, LTC Shawn Bhagwandien, LTC Bill Pentecost and COL Holsworth were assigned to a committee to seek assistance from Chapter 43 and explore the option of Philadelphia Convention next year.
- Fall, 2014 Dept Meeting – Hosted by Chapter 11 at Penns Creek on 20 September 2014.
12. Additional Old/New Business Issues
- LTC Daley made a motion to delete the requirement to publish the Report to Congress on an annual basis – Motion seconded by LTC D. Aravich, after discussion motion passed.
Visit to the Hill in August during Leadership Week rather than National Convention allows for more participation from local level and invitation to Junior Officers to observe. March 5, 2014 is the next scheduled visit, stay at a Hotel Best Western at good rate. There was a discussion on funding members or Junior Officers to attend.
- COL Holsworth informed attendees about the role and activities of the PA Governor’s Military Community Protection Commission that COL Speilbauer, COL
Holsworth and LTC Pentecost are currently serving on.
13. Motion to Adjourn was seconded and passed.
Site last updated:
Find & "Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ROADOPA or search "ROA Dept of PA" on Facebook.
DISCLAIMER: This web site is provided as a public service by the Reserve Officers Association, PA Department. None of the information in this site is intended to reflect the official opinions of the ROA, its Board of Directors, or National Officers. This web site may be used by the public for viewing and retrieving information only. Unauthorized attempts to upload or alter the contents of this site are prohibited and may be punishable under
Public Law 99-474 (The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986).
Copyright © 2013, all rights reserved